Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome To Second Grade

Welcome family and friends to Room 14! I am looking forward to another fabulous year of wonderful new experiences and lots of learning. Please visit this class blog weekly for school updates on special events, projects and maybe a few surprises. I will try to post on Sunday night or Monday as time allows. Your children are off to a great start and I am so pleased with my move to grade two after twenty-two years in grade one.

This week our class will review and practice the routines of the Daily 5. Our focus will be on Read To Self. The children will model to each other what Read To Self looks like and find a comfortable spot to read. Then they need to work on building their stamina for reading. At first they will read for 5-10 minutes but I hope by the end of the week it will be as much as 25-30 minutes. Reading research reports that in order to build stronger strategic readers our children need to read, read, read! So, beginning this week, students need to be reading at least 20 minutes every night. You will find a recording sheet that should be left in your child's homework folder. Each night have them record the book and amount of time they read. I will check this weekly.

I will talk more about curriculum at open house. I look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday night. Have a great week!